Sunday 17 June 2012

Empties #1

Hello Lovelies!

So exams are FINALLY over. Five science exams in 2 weeks is never going to be fun really is it? I am however. incredibly excited that it is over (and after rather a lot of laptop hiccups along the way) I am back to blogging again :)

I have used up a lot of products in the last couple of months and instead of throwing them away, I have carted all the empty bottles, boxes and jars back home from uni so I can show you lovely people what I have used and what I thought of them.

Just a warning, this is a very long post...



 LUSH Creamed Almond and Coconut Smoothie
This product is described on the tub as 'a beautiful shower soap for dry skin smelling of vanilla and ylang ylang' They have in fact, got the scent description pretty accurate, it definitely has almond in there too, but although its has coconut in the name, it isn't overly obvious or overwhelming. I bought this at least a year ago now and it has taken a very long time for me to get through it, I used in conjunction with the LUSH Glorious Mud Shower Scrub to create a paste like mask for all over the body (yum...) I found that it left my skin feeling super smooth and smelling lovely. I would rather use it in conjunction with something else though, as alone it leaves that strange squeaky soap feel all over the skin - that I don't particularly like. I would repurchase this but only if I bought the mud scrub at the same time. (They have however, discontinued it, so that throws my dilemma out of the window!)

Philip Kingsley Elasticizer,
When I first applied this cult hair treatment it was to wet hair and I hated it. I had no idea what all  the blimmin'  fuss was about! It just so happens, that I then did a little research and it turns out I was doing it wrong *doh!* I reapplied it to dry, newly coloured hair (pink and purple dip-dye dontcha know ;) and it was amazing, my hair was super soft and shiny even after it had been bleached. I received this sample size in the FeelUnique beauty box before it was discontinued otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. It is way too pricey for me to consider purchasing although if you are not a penniless student then I would highly recommend it!

Garnier Intensive 7 days Ultra Softening Lotion (Dry to Extra-Dry Skin)
There is not much I can say about this product as it is fantastic. It is light weight, sinks into the skin really quickly, is very nourishing and smells divine. It is also a bargain at around £2.99 here and is a definite repurchase for my hols!

Soap & Glory Butter Yourself Body Cream
Another fabulous moisturiser. Much thicker than the Garnier one so I would recommend leaving it on overnight to sink in. I also really loved the spongy, souffle like texture to this one as it was something a bit different. As with all Soap & Glory products it smells heavenly. Its in a mid price range at £10.50 for 300ml  from Boots (often on 3 for 2). Would repurchase if I didn't like to experiment and try new things so much!

Cutex Nourishing Nail Polish Remover
This is a pretty standard polish remover. It does the job, doesn't make a mess, smells reasonable (but I wouldn't recommend sniffing it...) and it is reasonably priced. I'm not too sold on the whole 'whitening' aspect but this is my go to remover and I have already bought a new one.

Soap & Glory The Scrub of Your Life
Yet another lovely Soap & Glory product. This one smells like the much loved Hand Food and Righteous Butter (I think its their 'pink' scent.) It is a very good scrub. It doesn't leave an oily residue which is a nightmare when shaving and is abrasive enough to get rid of dry skin. I would have repurchased this if it wasn't for my new love (also Soap & Glory) which a post is coming up for very soon!

Elnett Satin Diamond Hold Hair Spray,
I have been using this since I was around 13 and still love it. I have already repurchased this. Enough said :)

Phyto Express Conditioner for Colour Treated Hair
This was a sample in another of the FeelUnique Beauty Boxes. I literally cannot tell you my opinion on this. It's all a bit meh really. My hair wasn't particularly damaged at the time of use and there wasn't really enough in the sample to make a proper judgement on the product. I suppose it's always good to use things up though! Has anyone used this and liked/disliked it? I'd be rather intrigued to know.

Oilatum Natural Repair Face Cream,
I love this stuff. Its thick yet absorbs quickly, highly moisturising, great for my dry, sensitive skin and if the Pixiwoo girls love it then that's good enough for me! Wonderfully inexpensive and definitely a repurchase (when it is actually in stock!) Available for £7.65 here.

Liz Earle Skin Repair Moisturiser Dry/Sensitive Formulation
I wasn't impressed with this product at all. I was actually rather disappointed with it considering how much I love the Cleanse and Polish. I will be posting a separate review with my reasoning soon. There are definitely better products out there that are much cheaper (see above!)


And finally, some products that are on their last legs so I thought I'd give them an honorary mention...




Lily Flame Parma Violets Candle
This smells just like Parma Violets, therefore I love it, therefore I am rather sad that it has about 10 minutes of burn time left. Definite repurchase if I can justify the price *sad face*. Available here, my mum has the Fairy Dust one which is also a lovely clean, fresh scent.

MAC Brush Cleanser,
This is a pretty standard, well known product. I have had it for ages and it does the job well along with disinfecting my brushes. It is pretty pricey though but it does take me a while to get through. Available here if you think its worth the £8.50 price tag. I'm on the fence really...

The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Toner
I don't really have spot prone skin but it's nice to have something gentle, yet effective on hand for those times when your face decides to erupt over night (luverleee ;) When I feel like I'm starting to break out more than usual or I just feel like my skin needs a deeper cleanse, I use this as my toner for a couple of days and it clears my skin right up. It is also one of those clear skin products that tingles and feels as though it is actually working, which for me is always a bonus! A lovely product. It is available here for the rather reasonable £4.50.

Elemis Exotic Lime and Ginger Hand and Body Wash
This is yet another beauty box sample. It is a lovely luxurious shower gel that smells very earthy and gingery which I loved. A good night time bath/shower scent that I thoroughly enjoyed using. The price yet again put me off (at £18.50 for 300ml I would personally class it as extortion :P) but if you fancy a bit of luxury it is available here.

Aveeno Daily Moisturising Lotion.
I have a love hate relationship with this product so I will just list the good and bad points that I have found when using this and you can make your own mind up...

Good
  • Fabulously moisturising
  • Good for sensitive skin
  • Long lasting moisture
  • Sinks into skin quickly
Bad
  • Can do the evil 'bits of roley product that go all bobbly on the skin' thing :| (I sincerely hope that made sense) but that is never a good look:P 
  • The smell isn't too fantastic (kind of organic *good for you* food shop oatmeally smell) I personally find it foul but it doesn't stay on the skin at all so I can put up with it!
Simple Kind to Eyes Eye Make-up Remover
This is another staple in my skincare routine. It is just a standard, inexpensive and very gentle eye make-up remover that I find works very well :)

Phew!
Considering I haven't posted for ages I really can ramble on!
Anyhooo, well done if you made it this far :)
If you would like any in depth reviews please let me know and I will try and do them for you!

Much Love
Lou
xx

8 comments:

  1. Lovely empties post! :) It's introduced me to a few new products xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm almost done with a lush almond and coconut shower smoothie - I love how it makes my skin feel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love soap and glory, i think it smells wonderful and ive noticed such an improvement in my skin condition since using there moisturizers and scrubs!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Philip Kingsley has transformed my hair after my peroxide disaster :) I love it and Liz Earle! LaceyLoves

    ReplyDelete
  5. lucyyyy!
    you always make me want to buy so much stuff! haha

    awesome post as per! :D

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Soap and Glory! I also love empties posts hehe. There a few items you've listed that I've been wanting to try lately x

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post! but i can't believe lush discontinued the almond and coconut shower smoothie :( why, lush whyyyy?
    i want it so bad :s

    anansays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete